NREC Faculty and engineering staff participate in many organized outreach events during the calendar year. For example; targeted workshops and tours are given for K-12, community college level students and faculty, visiting community schools to give demonstrations, participation in the Great American Teach In, Engineering Expo, K-5 Career Day, USF Kids to Work Day Event, and USF New Employee Orientation tours. For more activities please see below:
Recruitment, Education & Research Training
- Supports USF PhD recruitment initiatives via tours for potential students from Latin America (Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela) and US minority serving institution.
- Since 2004, 33 graduate fellows have been NREC users. These students have received over $1.5 million in federal (NSF, DHS, etc), state, and private fellowships.
- Education and career development: State-of-the art research training for PhD internships and postdoctoral and industry employment (Argonne, BNL, Sandia, PNNL, Naval Research Lab, etc.)
- Student outcomes: Since 2004, 50+ conference presentations, 40+ conference/journal papers from graduate fellows.
- USF campus tours (Moffitt Nano Days, Engineering Expo, Stampede for Success, etc.)
- Fosters expanded engagement of USF faculty, students, and staff with the public – "The Great American Teach-In", Hillsborough Regional Science Fair, Introduce A Girl to Engineering, MOSI lectures, etc.
- NSF and USF Research Experiences for Teachers Research-training of K-12 teachers and faculty from community colleges and minority-serving institutions